What is Sexuality Education?
According to the SIECUS website:
Sexuality education is a lifelong process of acquiring information and forming attitudes, beliefs, and values. It encompasses sexual development, sexual and reproductive health, interpersonal relationships, affection, intimacy, body image, and gender roles.
The SIECUS website answers this question in much more depth including answers to:
- What is sexuality education?
- Where do young people learn about sexuality?
- What are the goals of school-based sexuality education?
- How do school-based sexuality education programs differ?
- Ideally, what topics are included in comprehensive sexuality education?
- What are students learning in today's school-based sexuality education?
- What does the research say about comprehensive sexuality education?
- Who decides what young people learn in sexuality education classes?
Please visit the SIECUS website to read this valuable information.
New National Standards
In addition, four leading health education organizations released the first-ever national standards for sexuality education in schools. Published in the Journal of School Health, the ground-breaking National Sexuality Education Standards: Core Content and Skills, K-12 provide clear, consistent, and straightforward guidance on the essential minimum,core content for sexuality education that is developmentally and age-appropriate for students in grades Kindergarten through grade 12.